The Office of Institutional Equity and Diversity (OIED) manages the implementation of the DIAP, with continuous oversight from the Diversity and Inclusion Oversight Board, Diversity Steering Committee and the standing Committee on Equity, Diversity and Inclusion of the Corporation of Brown University, Brown’s governing body.
The Diversity and Inclusion Oversight Board assesses progress related to goals set forth in Brown’s DIAP. Board membership is structured to ensure representation across University groups. It is co-chaired by the vice president for institutional equity and diversity and one of the committee members who holds a faculty position at Brown.
- Chair of the Committee on Faculty Equity and Diversity
- Faculty members
- Undergraduate, graduate and medical students
- Staff members (including a representative from the Staff Advisory Council)
- Representative from OIED (non-voting)
- Representative from the academic Departmental DIAP review committee (non-voting)
- Representative from the administrative Departmental DIAP review committee (non-voting)
The Diversity Steering Committee has ultimate responsibility for the implementation and success of the DIAP. This committee reviews the annual report on DIAP progress and makes decisions about changes in programs or policies that are needed to move closer to the goals set forth in the action plan. A committee representative presents the DIAP report for discussion annually at a meeting of the Brown Corporation.
- President of the University
- Chair of the Faculty Executive Committee
- Dean of the College
- Dean of the Graduate School
- Vice president for campus life and student services
- Vice president for institutional equity and diversity
- EVP for Finance and Administration
The Corporation’s standing committee consults with the vice president for institutional equity and diversity to effectively advocate for the DIAP and ensure that the goals outlined in the plan remain institutionalized priorities for Brown. The committee chair and vice president present jointly to the entire Corporation on areas of progress and opportunities for continued growth as they pertain to diversity and inclusion initiatives at the University.
- Members of the Corporation