Brown University’s commitment to diversity is highlighted in the University’s strategic plan, Building on Distinction, while its detailed vision for realizing this commitment is articulated in the 2016 Pathways to Diversity and Inclusion: An Action Plan for Brown University (the DIAP).
This strategic plan for diversity and inclusion establishes concrete, achievable actions to make Brown a more fully diverse and inclusive community, focusing on six priority areas: People, Academic Excellence, Curriculum, Community, Knowledge and Accountability.
The DIAP and its seven appendices present an action plan as well as resources that contribute context for the original plan’s implementation.
- The original implementation framework
- A timeline of the history of activism and advocacy around issues of race and discrimination
- Opportunities for professional development being cultivated at the time
- A summary of the community input that helped build the plan
- Mechanisms for oversight efforts for diversity and inclusion at Brown
- Baseline data on historically underrepresented groups at Brown
- A roadmap of opportunities for engagement with the local community beyond the campus.